Thursday 6 October 2011

Broken eyes

It's been a tough week for my poor little eyes with twelve hours a day staring a computer screen now that the busy season is in full swing at work. Thank goodness that The Book Thief was such an amazing read. The thought of picking up a book at the end of the day to drag my tired eyes over more words could have been enough to make me pack the whole thing in if I hadn't been so engrossed in what was in store next for Liesel. Definitely added that one to my favourites of all time list. I had no idea it was possible to make a tragic and blunt story of a little girl in Nazi Germany into an 'easy read'. I'd catch myself smiling over the brilliantly subtle humour and then be a bit shocked at myself for being able to smile while reading about the desperate situation of a family hiding a Jew in the basement. Within a page I'd be in tears again (people on my bus definitely starting to think there's something odd about me). It's been a while since I've read a book that made me question my own reactions, perceptions, perspective. Very satisfying to reach the end of a novel and feel you've changed because of it. Only very slightly, but a little adjustment in the way you see the world. That's how I feel after reading The Book Thief. I'll be recommending it to everyone I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment