Monday 19 September 2011

One Day

I got really into David Nicholls' One Day. Really easy read and enjoyed the story. Brilliantly observational, with loads of quirky and amusing characteristics that were rather too easy to relate to at times (I won't specify which ones rang true for me!). The realism to the writing made the characters seem far less fantastical than a lot of fiction, and I thought the pace of the book reflected the lightening speed at which life really does seem to fly past. The trouble is (and I suppose this is part of the problem in reading a book that's had so much hype) I read so many reviews of this being an incredible, moving, heart-breaking book that I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't blown away. My tissue box remains untouched, and I haven't spent any time sobbing into my pillow. And being a typical woman I definitely love a bit of drama in my life so any book that can draw the tears is a winner for me... Still, a good start to the reading challenge. On with To Kill a Mockingbird now. I have actually read this one before, but it seems like a good excuse to enjoy a few of the classics again. I'm going to have to try and pick up the pace a bit though. Fine line between getting through as many of these as possible and actually enjoying the books as I read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment